Introducing The Beauty Chef
We were thrilled to launch The Beauty Chef on ONDA Beauty with an event at Naomi Watt's home. We are strong advocates for ingestibles and so asked the founder of The Beauty Chef, Carla Oates, to share with you all what we learnt about inner beauty at our launch event.
Why do you believe skin health starts from the belly?
I am a big believer in “beauty begins in the belly” – that gut health is paramount for healthy, radiant skin and overall wellbeing.
The first step to healthy, radiant skin is balancing digestive health. Our gut is where 70% of the immune system lies, where we metabolize hormones, where we make detoxifying enzymes and where we make nutrients, and so much of what goes on in our digestive system can impact our skin. The skin, hair and nails are the last places to receive nutrients, as they go to more important organs first, so nutrition is important for glowing skin, and fermented foods give you dense, super charged nutrition. The Beauty Chef embrace's the time-honoured art of fermentation in our products because fermenting ingredients not only pre-digests them to make the nutrients more available for the body to use, but it creates probiotics to help balance digestion.
Do you think ingestible products are gaining momentum within the skincare industry, if so why?
There is a wellness revolution happening, there is an increase in degenerative diseases and folks are realizing that modern life isn't so conducive to good health. Too much stress, packaged food and pollution. We are going back to basics, organic food, chemical-free skincare and personal care products, and embracing traditional and healthy ways of preparing foods — such as the art of fermentation.
- Prebiotics and probiotics – these work to improve gut health and boost your immune system. They also support the body’s detoxification and elimination pathways. Probiotics directly neutralize certain chemicals and toxins so that they don’t have to be processed through the liver. This helps to ease the burden on the liver and the skin. A happy gut also means a healthy immune system, healthier skin, better absorption of nutrients, metabolism of hormones etc.
- Vitamin C – helps protect your body from oxidative damage, important for immune health and helps boost your body’s levels of our main antioxidant — glutathione — an antioxidant your body produces to protect itself against free radical damage, inflammation and cellular aging. Vitamin C helps to synthesize collagen in the body. Found in GLOW Inner Beauty Powder, BODY Inner Beauty Powder and COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost.
- Vitamin E - helps your body recycle glutathione which also helps fight inflammation, one of the main culprits when it comes to premature aging and reduces the impact of oxidative stress. Found in our ANTIOXIDANT Inner Beauty Boost.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids - reduces inflammation and helps protect your skin from free radical damage. Found in GLOW Inner Beauty Powder.
- Zinc - contributes to normal skin functions and may help with a variety of skin problems from acne to improved wound healing. Zinc is also great for strengthening hair and nails and can ward off colds and aid the immune system. Found in GLOW Inner Beauty Powder and COLLAGEN Inner Beauty Boost.
- Vitamin D - The UVB rays responsible for helping our bodies make the immune boosting vitamin D are low and sometimes non-existent in certain areas in winter. Which is why it is important that we get vitamin D from food or a supplement. Our BODY Inner Beauty Powder contains 50% of the RDI of Vitamin D per dose. You can also get small amounts of vitamin D from fatty fish and cod liver oil. And if you do find you need to get a blood test for other reasons – it’s worth asking to have your vitamin D levels tested to see if you are deficient. This fat-soluble “sunshine vitamin” also helps you absorb calcium to form and maintain healthy bones. Vitamin D has beneficial effects on moods, immunity, diabetes and glucose metabolism, heart health, hypertension and inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. It has also been linked to the prevention of some cancers.
- Minerals – generally – Because our soils are over farmed and often depleted in minerals, a lot of people are not getting enough minerals which are so important as co-factors for vitamins to work in the body. Minerals are vital for cellular health, overall health and skin health – for helping to repair skin cells, to energise skin cells, for elasticity etc.
- Digestive Enzymes – Many people have poor digestive health and as we age digestive function declines – both mean that we are not making the digestive enzymes efficiently to break down the food we consume properly. Digestive enzymes are very helpful for people with poor digestion, helping that the nutrients in their food can be broken down and utilisted by the body and help to prevent hard to break down food irritating the gut. Found in ANTIOXIDANT Inner Beauty Boost and CLEANSE Inner Beauty Powder.
- Broad spectrum antioxidants – Each antioxidant in the rainbow of foods we eat has its own function and protects us from a specific free radical. Which is why it’s important to eat many different wholefoods – bright fruits and vegetables, green tea, legumes, mushrooms, nuts, seeds etc. All of The Beauty Chef’s products are rich in antioxidants from Certified Organic wholefoods.
What are the key differences between your powder and liquid products?
My favorite way of looking at how the powders and liquid boosts work both individually and together is to think of them in the same way you would topical skincare: just like you would use a serum to supercharge your moisturizer, the Inner Beauty Boosts work to amplify the effects of the Inner Beauty Powders to address specific skin concerns. Put another way, the Inner Beauty Powders are your baseline all-rounders that keep your skin looking great on a day-to-day basis, while the Boosts are what you reach for when you need that extra hit of TLC, whether it's ANTIOXIDANT to fight against free-radical damage and cellular aging, COLLAGEN to address fine lines and sagging skin, or HYDRATION to enhance radiance and combat dryness. The wonderful thing with both the powders and boosts is that they can be used separately for powerful skin benefits, or mixed and matched into a tailored powder-plus-boost combination that works specifically for you. For example, CLEANSE + COLLAGEN would be great for anyone looking to spring-clean their skin while fighting the visible signs of ageing; GLOW + HYDRATION would tackle dry-skin concerns by maximizing moisturization and radiance from within; while BODY + ANTIOXIDANT would help to maintain a healthy weight range while providing skin and gut benefits, repairing cell damage and reducing the signs of aging. Ultimately, only you know which product or combination is right for your skin - happy experimenting!
Prebiotics and probiotics are both buzz words we’ve been hearing about recently. Can you share a little about the benefits, and how you suggest incorporating them into one’s beauty routine?
Prebiotics and probiotics work to improve gut health and boost your immune system. They also support the body’s detoxification and elimination pathways. Probiotics directly neutralize certain chemicals and toxins so that they don’t have to be processed through the liver. This helps to ease the burden on the liver and the skin. A happy gut also means a healthy immune system, healthier skin, better absorption of nutrients, metabolism of hormones. More and more studies are showing the link between skin health and gut health. Where there is gut inflammation, there will be skin inflammation. People who have a healthier gut microbiota, have a healthier fatty acid profile in their skin, therefore their skin is more hydrated, moisturized and plumper.
You can find Prebiotics and Probiotics in all of The Beauty Chef Inner Beauty Products, which can easily be added into your daily routine. You can enjoy them in smoothies, water, yogurt, raw bars, bliss balls and lots more.